While there are a number of online directories sites for lawyers, Colorado Super Lawyers is one that I recommend to most of my clients. Not only is the price right (free for a basic listing), but being added to the vast Super Lawyers network allows you to get in front of both legal professionals and potential clients a lot easier.
What is it?
Super Lawyers is a print magazine and online website that shares information about the top lawyers in a region, city, and across America. Like other awards magazines, it breaks the legal field into practice areas, and relies on peer-nominated entrants to choose the top lawyers in each region for each niche.
In addition to highlighting the best lawyers in the country, Super Lawyers curates and presents legal content that is relevant to all levels of lawyers and offers paid advertising. It is also a bit more “client-friendly,” and offers a lot of free legal advice through its online digital magazine and website.
How long has it been around?
Super Lawyers’ first copy was printed in 1991 to be a “city-wide guide for lawyers,” according to the website. Although it originally only covered Minneapolis, by 1996, it had spread into both Washington and Texas, and was poised for much bigger coverage.
What is their audience/reach?
As of 2019, the magazine’s Super Lawyers list is featured in nearly 100 magazines across the United States with a readership of over 24 million. The audience is much more front-facing than others of its kind. It is designed for any potential client to pick up and peruse, but can also be very helpful for attorney-to-attorney work.
How do you use it?
There are a number of ways to leverage Super Lawyers as part of your marketing or branding plan.
Improve your CV and resume. Being named to Colorado Super Lawyers or Colorado Rising Stars gives credibility to your practice and your reputation in your practice area.
Spruce up your website and print materials. Once you’re included on a Super Lawyers list, you have free access to the official badges that say you were named to a certain state’s list during a certain year. This is a great thing to tout on your website and in other materials that you hand out to potential clients and referral sources.
Increase your online presence. Although most people won’t see your full online profile on Super Lawyers unless you pay for an expanded subscription, your basic information is still searchable online. This gives you another reputable source for people to find you and verify your practice. It has a high first page ranking on Google as well.
How to get it on it: The Super Lawyers nomination process explained
As with many other awards of this kind, it’s all about having a supporting network of peer attorneys. The basic nomination process goes like this:
1. Lawyers nominate peers that they have observed in action for a Super Lawyer award. This can be done by colleagues within your firm, but must be matched by a colleague outside of your firm as well to count. You cannot nominate yourself, and solicitation of nominations is not allowed.
2. The research team searches for lawyers who have earned other accolades, awards, and public attention. Even if they have not been nominated, lawyers who fit this criteria are added to the potential list for consideration.
3. An evaluation is done by the research team on each of the candidates based on 12 points:
- Representative Clients
- Special licenses/certifications
- Position within the law firm
- Bar and/or professional activity
- Pro bono and community service
- Scholarly lectures/writings
- Education/employment background
- Other outstanding achievements
4. The attorneys are evaluated by peers in their practice area who have scored the highest on the previously stated criteria.
5. The lawyers with the highest total points are chosen to be a part of the Super Lawyers list.
Is it Free?
The nomination process and associated online biography is totally free. Super Lawyers does offer paid advertising though.
Being included on the Super Lawyers list is an accomplishment that can really boost your online presence and credibility in your local community. In addition, there is very little risk involved. It doesn’t cost anything to be nominated, and it fairly easy to maintain once you’ve gotten on the list. I suggest that solo and small firms make a plan to include this award as a part of their marketing and branding goals.
Questions? Call Meranda with Denver Legal Marketing at 303-507-3944.